Sunday, November 5, 2017

High Tide

The ocean pulls debris
from across the sea
landing it upon the shore
lying before me

Then the mighty waves
pull debris from me
carry it across the sea
to the shore of another's door

O deep sea I pray...
Take from me my heart's debris!
Engulf it within your belly's depths!
To fully feel your violent fury!

Energized by your abysmal currents...
Engaged in your stream of life...
Seize the bitterness, rage, and anger!
Spawned from the womb of lies and strife

If a cyclone it stirs to roar...
Let her dance upon your expanse!
Spewing her venom far from shore
So not to poison another's door

Once the ravaged vortex ceases...
Let it soak its wearied course...
Purified with sun and salt...
To inherit a new life force....

Yes, take from me my heart's debris!
Yet let it fulfill its passage
So when it beaches the opposite shore
Its toxic waste betides no more...

may 19, 2007



Photo by a Canadian friend
















Today, 11/05/17, I searched for his poem on my blogs. I could have sworn I had posted it along with the context at the time it was written.

But, I couldn't find it on any of my blogs, in draft or already published. I located it in a different archive, not on one of my blogs, but without the context.

Short context:
My daughter and I went on vacation for a week to Florida. We stayed on the Gulf Coast for most of the week and spent one or two nights in Jacksonville and some time in Daytona. On the Daytona stay, we visited the Boardwalk at night.

The ocean tide was really high, verging on violent as it slammed the side of the Boardwalk covering the bottom steps of the stairs that descended from the Boardwalk to the beach. Daytona has a wide beach on which cars daily drive, weather allowing. I asked a local if this was normal, this ferocious high tide against the Boardwalk. He responded, "No. Only occasionally." He said there was a Nor'easter at work.

At the time I was dealing with anger and rage regarding hypocrisy and false accusations, or at least mistaken ones.

The fury of the tide expressed the rage I felt at the time, a rage I was containing.
That night, I penned the poem.

The whole process helped...
Feeling the sea receive from me, my rage.
The rage did get purified...
Eventually, into another form...




2 comments:

Zoe said...

Incredible poetry OneP. Thanks for sharing it. The sting of tears came up so I think some of the phrases hit home. I don't think actually. I know. ((( <3 )))

oneperson said...

Thanks Zoe.

Thinking of you as you continue to weather the storm.

(((<3 )))